Website CAS Ltd.
About the Company
“CAS is an employee-owned software company, with all permanent staff owning share options. The working atmosphere is collaborative and the office is welcoming.
At the same time, we take our work seriously and have ambitions for the company to grow: we have expanded customer numbers from 12 around 50 in the last 5 years. CAS is also Scotland’s first software house, coming into existence as part of Heriot-Watt University in 1969, with our company still being based there today. We celebrated our 50th birthday in 2019!
CAS has two primary application areas:
Case management, and our workflow product Workpro, which is used across many industries, with a significant presence in ombudsman organisations.
Defence, where development is focused on our Electronic Defence product, used on military tactics ranges to provide a realistic training environment for air forces.
CAS is taking steps to improve diversity within our organisation, so if you’ve got the right skills for the job we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from the right candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief or race.”
Read more about CAS’s vision and values HERE.
CAS is looking for a Junior Software Engineer to work in their Workpro Engineering Team to play a part in developing the next generation of Workpro, their case management product which they develop and support.
Day-to-day, you’ll be involved with a wide range of activities which might include:
- Implementing new product features
- Fixing bugs
- Writing automated tests
- Developing and supporting their automated build system
- Working with business analysts to define new features
- Deploying releases to customer and cloud systems
- Moving older parts of the system to new technologies
Out of hours, working might occasionally be necessary to support customer rollouts. CAS has a rota system where you’ll be able to gain extra days holiday in return for working evenings and weekends. You may also be required to travel to visit customer sites, but this is extremely unusual.
The Workpro Software Engineering Team has a structured career path for software engineers. Throughout your journey, you will be set clear goals for progression and given access to training to support your development. Each year you will have an opportunity to advance along your career path and be provided with further training goals and support. Training will also be provided in the use of AngularJS, Windows Forms programming and in developing and consuming REST services.
CAS provides other benefits for all their employees, such as:
- Reduced rates for use of sports facilities within the research park
- Free parking
- Work-life balance (flexible hours)
- Working on an established project which is evolving in new directions and into new markets
After 6 months, you would also be eligible for:
- Owning a stake in the company
- Company pension scheme
- Long term sickness cover
- Profit-share scheme (available to all employees through our ownership structure)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
You must be a graduate with an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer science or a degree with significant computing content. Aside from this, applications are welcome from software engineers of all experience levels.
CAS’s main requirements are a good problem solver, committed to producing high-quality work. Ideally, the applicant will be someone with a growth mindset who is willing to learn and develop their personal and professional skills, to progress, and to take on new responsibilities.
It is essential you have some knowledge or experience of using:
- Web development on the Microsoft tech stack using HTML / CSS / C# / ASP.Net (MVC etc.)
- SQL database programming, preferably but not necessarily with SQL Server
- Object-oriented programming
- Using a source control system, preferably TFS
The following attributes will also be necessary:
- Understanding the web request lifecycle
- Good problem-solving skills
- Professional attitude and approach
- Responsible attitude – you take ownership and see things through to completion
- Working well with others and in a team
If you have any questions about this role or the organisation please contact email@example.com. Please do not under any circumstances contact the employer directly as doing so may negatively impact your employment opportunity.
To apply for this job please visit www.aai-employability.org.uk.