Website Hymans Robertson LLP
The role of the Support Developer is to provide support to our clients, internal users and software development teams on a variety of technologies and Hymans products. You will work with a DevOps approach to support however please note that Hymans do not subscribe to the definition of DevOps as a role title or team name.
As an Application Support Developer you will be involved in the project initiation of up and coming developments from the architectural design, the implementation of release pipelines and advising on the role of various IT solutions within development such as Content delivery Networks, Cloud Services, Web Application Firewalls, Monitoring, Auto Remediation or other such solutions. You will be involved in the active monitoring of our systems to ensure that applications perform to the best of their capability and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
We would expect you to be actively involved in automation and integration works to expand on the firms already developing portfolio of such works.
You will have an active role in the training of junior staff or staff within other roles to help further our firmwide DevSecOps initiative.
As a Support Developer you will have the opportunity to join several Expert groups such as Security Expert Group, Architectural Forum and Continuous Improvement in Release group.
Your role will heavily involve the advising of various groups with regards to best practice and writing policy to ensure this is adopted into daily practices.
As part of the role you will also be working on support requests escalated to you by other members of the digital community and may be required to work out of core hours on occasion.
- Additionally, you will provide basic systems support in addition to monitoring and reporting of systems availability / capacity.
- Supporting internal development teams e.g. root cause analysis, advising on development practices in line with IT policies and systems.
- You will regularly document, and update procedures, processes and systems where required. It will be important to ensure that all work is carried out in a rigorous and methodical manner and that comprehensive audit trails are in evidence.
- Assisting with projects and department housekeeping as required.
- Comply with the firm’s information security standards, policies and procedures.
- Qualified in one or more technology fields to degree level or having meaningful equivalent experience.
- You will have previous experience working in an engineering role – this may be from a software development or IT background at a senior level.
- Demonstrable experience in systems design, and core knowledge of areas such as Networking, Windows OS, Security, Databases, Cloud (Azure preferred), basic scripting or software development languages such as .NET and Java, and database languages such as SQL.
- Previous experience in supporting websites and web applications written in .NET (preferred) or other mainstream languages.
- Experience in working to change management.
The following are desirable and not a requirement however would stand in a candidate’s favour.
Understands the following technologies;
- .Net framework, PowerShell, NodeJS, XML and JSON
- RESTful APIs
- SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 onward.
- Microsoft Azure Cloud offerings.
- Basic understanding of networking and Firewalls
- Appreciation of Web Security
- Azure DevOps
- Management of various CMS such as Umbraco.
- Likely to be confident and outgoing in order to build positive working relationships
- A personal interest in Technology and / or process
- Takes pride in working to high standards
- Committed to lifelong learning and has a desire to expand their knowledge outside of their current role.
- Ability to work as part of a team or on you own when required.
- Well-developed time management and organisational skills.
- Strong analytical mind-set with exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communicator with the capability of deftly explaining technical principles in a simplistic manner to all levels of knowledge and experience.
- A proven ability to prioritise workload, and to delegate appropriately where required.
- Experience of delivering presentations or keen to expand their experience in this area.
Based in Edinburgh, however you will occasionally need to work with colleagues in Glasgow.
To apply for this job please visit hymans.current-vacancies.com.