Data Insight Engineering Lead
Apply by: 30/11/2021
You’ll bring the ambition, we’ll provide the opportunities
Tesco has built its success – and its reputation – on a tradition of excellent service and dedication to the customer, but Tesco Bank is about more than bringing these values to a new market. It’s about bringing a new approach to personal finances and retail banking. As we look to build upon existing talent within our senior and specialist roles, we’re creating a backbone of excellence – offering the highest-calibre of professional a chance for wide-ranging and long-lasting impact in a business that’s breathing new life into the industry.
Will identify opportunities to unlock the value of new and existing data domains to develop and implement the semantic data layer which enhances business insight capabilities. Be a data subject matter expert and coach a team to develop data flows and acquisition processes to deliver well structured, efficient and well performing data marts. Responsible for leading the strategic design and maintenance of the semantic data layer for the enterprise and the coordination with internal stakeholders, as well as outside partners and suppliers. Effectively lead and motivate a team of Data Insight Engineers who facilitate semantic data layer solutions, processes, procedures, development, and implementation. You will lead activities and be empowered to challenge the status quo
In this job, I am accountable for:
- Leading the delivery, design, build and maintenance of the banks semantic data assets that will drive insight activities for the organization, integrating new data and supporting prototype activity.
- Design and coordinate solutions to build robust Data Flows and Assets. Ensure that fit for purpose validations and controls exist in our Data Flows and Assets to evidence accuracy and timeliness of our data.
- Embedding and driving technical excellence and continuous improvement ensuring through guidance and coaching that data built within EDS is well structured, efficient, and extensible therefore building data assets that deliver business value time and again.
- Proactively identify opportunities to leverage new and existing data domains, ensuring integration with the semantic data layer adds value.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members to ensure sustainable and accurate data solutions, tailored to the needs of the business, are delivered that comply with governance, architecture, and risk frameworks.
- Provide feedback and input to the Data Governance, Architecture and Modelling Principles. Ensure that solutions delivered meet the agreed standards.
- Define standards for effective and efficient data storage and processing, ensuring that data produced is accurate, meaningful and can be used as the source of ‘truth’ for the bank.
- Identify, recommend, and deliver innovative improvements to our services, technology stack and processes to establish maintain best-in-class delivery.
- Research and advance department knowledge of modern data capabilities and technologies, in particular data platform, data flows, data modelling and data integration.
- Lead, manage and coach a team of Data Insight Engineers, covering all aspects of colleague line management such as one to ones, setting objectives, performance reviews and personal development
- Allocate, prioritise, plan, and manage delivery of data requests or improvements with the team of Data Insight Engineers. Define and ensure a well-structured version control method is adhered to so that we can roll back to previous versions and can maintain an audit trail of changes made.
- Identify operational and strategic risks, ensuring that these are managed and recorded within Tesco Bank’s Risk Management Framework. Coordinate resources to own and resolve issues across services, processes, and content.
- Engaging in the change process to evaluate impact on the insight landscape. Seek clarity and refine requirements as necessary and document any risks, assumptions, and dependencies. Ensure agreed delivery milestones are achieved.
Experience and knowledge:
- Leading, coaching and performance managing a team
- Proven track record of delivering integrated data to drive meaningful self serve analysis and insight
- Experience in Semantic layer data model creation and maintenance, including real time and batch based data loads
- Agile delivery methodology and ceremonies, including task allocation and capacity planning
- Embedding best practice Data Management controls
- Requirement interpretation, solution design and impact assessment
- You must be experienced in programming with cloud-based tools (python, Spark, Airflow etc.)
- Experience of SAS, SAS EG, DI Studio & SAS SQL, R, Shiny (preferred)
- JIRA, Confluence, GitHub, Jenkins knowledge (preferred)
Wherever your talent lies, you’ll find challenge and reward in equal measure. We’re here to go the extra mile for our customers – and we’ll do the same for you. It’s simple. As long as you have the ambition, we’ll provide the opportunity for success. Visit our website and find the role that’s right for you.
To apply for this job please visit careers.tescobank.com.